Wednesday, October 8, 2008

An update, a plea and a word of thanks

Thank you to everyone who has expressed concern for Temuri, me, and the families of Giga Chikhladze and Sasha Klimchuk.

Anyone reading this blog knows full well that this war left tens of thousands of victims -- the killed, the injured, the homeless and the bereaved.

Giga and Sasha are two of those victims. They were killed on August 8 when an Ossetian patrol opened fire on us. Brave and competent journalists, they died doing a job that needed doing. They were professionals, carving out careers in a difficult line of work.

Giga was a father, and Sasha an only son. They promised to support the other’s family if one was killed. With both now gone, their families’ losses are compounded horribly.

Caucasus Images, Sasha’s photo agency, is taking donations via their website. Please give some aid. Every bit helps.

Temuri Kiguradze and I were luckier. He was shot in the elbow and faces a difficult and costly road to recovery. But he’s able to work and continue his excellent reporting.

I was shot in the lower leg, and was fortunate enough to receive tremendous help from friends, family and my government. (I’ll never grumble about paying taxes again.) I’m in England, studying and receiving first-rate care. If all goes well, I should be walking normally within a year.

As of August 8, I have had no involvement with the Messenger; I don’t know why its website is down.

Many thanks to those who read us over the years and during my tenure as editor, and again, to those of you who offered support and aid during this awful summer.

8 Comments:

At October 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks for the update. Very good to see you in print again.
Thanks also for telling us how to make a donation to the families of Sasha and Giga.
Please continue your updates to keep others informed on you and Temuri.
All the Best to you in all that you do.

 
At October 14, 2008 at 2:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm so sorry to hear that. But I will do what I can do for them. And I'm pleased to know you have been studying in a University
in England.

-Annie

 
At October 23, 2008 at 5:54 PM , Blogger Tom said...

Thanks for the update. I'll certainly try to help. All the best to you and Temuri, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

 
At October 24, 2008 at 7:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Winston, you probably don't remember me but I graduated from West in 2006. I read about you in the Anchorage Daily News and was wondering if you would like to write an article about your experiences for the Georgetown Journal of International Affairs, a nationally distributed (through Barnes and Noble) and well-known publication. If you are interested, please email me at jvkosygina@gmail.com Hope to hear from you soon!

Best,
Julia

 
At December 12, 2008 at 6:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Winston,

I work for the Rory Peck Trust and we are currently looking into helping your colleague Temuri Kiguradze. It would help us tremendously if you could get in touch and breif us on what had happened in August. Please email me at lu[at]rorypecktrust.org

Thank you.

Lu

 
At November 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 
At September 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM , Blogger igor 080808 said...

winwston in 080808 im help you. I аm Igor. anestezi-vodka.how are you? do you remember me? now you need help me. I am waiting for reply. i am in odnoklassniki.ru on your name - winston fezerli.

 
At January 9, 2024 at 9:49 AM , Anonymous Ontario condos for sale & rent said...

Grateful for the concern and support after the tragic loss of Giga and Sasha in the war. They were brave journalists doing their job. I'm recovering from a leg injury, and Temuri faces challenges too. Thanks for donations to Caucasus Images. Every bit helps. Much appreciation for the support during this tough time.
Buying Home
Condos for sale Ottawa
Condos for sale Toronto
Condos for sale Milton
Condos for sale Oakville

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home